Monday, March 9, 2015

Chapter 37



Olivia feels a little relief as she watches Jon sleep.  She knows that he is in good hands, and that he is finally able to get some rest, in peace.  


Between her and his doctors, the best diagnosis that they can agree on is just plain exhaustion.  But that doesn't set well with her.  As he lay there, sound asleep, she grabs his chart and starts to look at his test results.  The numbers and the words all run together as she starts to feel sleepy, nodding off herself in the chair next to Jon's bed.  

"Olivia." she hears in her slumber, but she can't open her eyes.  "Liv."  she tries to open her eyes, her lids are heavy and feeling like they are made of cement, "Babe, wake up."  She lifts her head and tries to speak.

"I'm here, I'm right here." she mumbles to Jon, with her eyes still closed, "What do you need babe?"

"Climb up here with me." he tells her, "Don't sleep in that chair, come lay with me."

She rolls her head to get an easier look at Jon, "I'm good honey, go back to sleep." she mumbles.

"Come on.  Get in here." she can hear that he means business and that he isn't going to let her go back to sleep in the chair.  Jon flings the blankets back and pats the open space next to him, "Come on."  With a heaviness in her legs, Olivia slowly get up and slides into bed with Jon.  When she's comfortable and settled in, Jon pulls the blankets up on the both of them and he melts into her, holding her close and kissing her head.  "You're exhausted to babe."

"I'm just tired." she slowly tells him, through a yawn and a slight stretch.  "You need to go back to sleep."

"I'm not tired.  I just woke up." he squeezes her tight, "It's your turn to sleep."

"I'm good." Olivia rolls on her side and slides back into Jon, "I just want you to hold me."  Gently she kisses the arm that he slid under her head.

"I think I'm hungry." Jon quietly tells her, knowing what she was going to do.  "Do you want me to order you anything?"

"Order?" she laughs, "Is that what they do here?  Order from the cafeteria?"

"I'm calling in chinese.  What do you want?"

Olivia rolls over on her back and turns her head to look at Jon, "You are in the hospital for exhaustion, for burning the candle at both ends and you want Chinese?"

"Yeah."

"I'm surprised that you have an appetite this soon."

"Should I not eat?"

"No, by all means, eat.  Eat what ever you want, I'm just surprised that you want Chinese food."

"Why?" he questions her, "What should I want?"

Olivia now rolls all the way over and they are face to face.  With a peck on his nose, "Eat what ever you want, babe."

"What do you want?"

"Chinese is good.  But are you going to get it in here this late?" 

Jon looks at the big clock on the wall, "I didn't know it was so late.  Maybe they won't deliver.  Shit!"

Olivia sits up, pulling the covers up to her chin, "I can go get you something from the cafeteria, what do you want?"

"Chinese." he chuckles, "I had my heart set on some sesame chicken."

Olivia gets out of the warmth of the shared bed and slips on her shoes, "Well, I doubt that they have sesame chicken, but I bet they have ice cream and junk food.  What sounds good?"

Jon looks at her and smiles, "I'll go down with you."

"No."

Jon slides out of bed as he tells her, "I'm going with you, wait a minute."

"Jon, you don't need to go down with me."

"I want to."

"No.  I'm sure there are craziees out there, you don't need to go."

"It's the middle of the night, I think I'm safe."

Olivia rolls her eyes, "Then lets male this quick."

Jon and Olivia make their way to the cafeteria that has very little left for choosing.  Together they grab a couple trays of junk food that included cookies, brownies, ice cream and milk shakes.  All food that they didn't eat on a regular basis.  

Back in his hospital room, they sit on his bed and fill their bellies with junk food, with feel good food.  "I'm going to have to run twice as far in the morning."  Olivia says, licking ice cream off of her spoon, "I can't believe that we are sitting here in the middle of the night eating this crap."

"It's all so good."

"I agree." she winks at him, "But this isn't what we eat and what we do."

"Well, sometimes we just gotta do what feels right.  And this feels right."  The two of them are eating like they are children that got free passes into a candy and junk food factory, both loving the carelessness that they feel - defying what they know what they know to be right.  But they didn't care.

"How do you feel?"  Olivia asks Jon, reaching over to grab his bowl of chocolate ice cream, "You are eating like you feel better."

"This was the best medicine." he laughs, "I should have done this weeks ago."

"Had you done it weeks ago, you probably would have ended up here long ago."

"Nah." he winks back at her, "We need to do this more often."

The two of them ate until they were sick to their stomach.  When they reached that point, they climbed into his bed and watched a little bit of TV.  When the doctor was in earlier, he told them that he wanted to keep Jon strictly for observation, and they agreed.  Olivia liked that the hospital stay was forcing Jon to relax and take  break.   When she suggested that he slow down, she thought that that somehow told him to speed up.

5 comments:

  1. Jon needs to take advantage of his time in the hospital and get as Mich rest as he can because knowing him, he will go right back to the way things were before he collapsed.
    Thank you for the new chapter.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree with that. maybe a few weeks off relaxing with his kids somewhere would be good just to get off his hectic schedule for a minute.
    and keep Dot away from him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm okay. are you hinting that there may be something seriously wrong with him?

    ReplyDelete