Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Chapter 40



In a huff and with his tail slightly tucked, Richie grabs his hat off the back of a chair and starts to leave.  With his hand on the door knob, he looks to Olivia and says, "This isn't over."


In just as much of a huff and with a little embarrassment, Olivia responds, "Why do you have to be such an ass, Richie?"

Richie's hand falls off the door knob, and without hesitation he tells her, "I was here long before you and I'll be here long after you, so pick your battles Olivia.  This man,"  he points to Jon, who is standing there with his hands stretching his neck, "is motivated by money."

"Not this time." she snaps, shooting Richie an evil look.

"Goddamn it.  Enough!"  Jon barks, "Richie, go.  I'll call you later."  Jon walks away, leaving the two fighting in the living room area of the suite.  "Just go." he whispers as he walks away.  Olivia stands there, not sure what to do.  She's never heard Jon talk to Richie like that before.  

Richie leaves.  Olivia looks around the suite, hoping to find something to do.  She really didn't want to get into it with Jon, and she knows that it's inevitable.  With no escape, no distraction she heads toward the bedroom where she finds Jon staring out the window.  She's nervous and a little scared.  She has no idea what just happened, other than the fact that he just yelled at them.  Yelled like she's not heard him before.  "Jon." she whispers.

"Liv, why do you do that?" he snaps. 

She's speechless and unaware of what he's talking about, "Why do I do what?"  

"Why can't you let me worry about me?"

"Jon?" she's really caught off guard by this.  She takes a few steps in his direction, to be startled by his quick turn around.

"You can't keep questioning me and trying to fix everything." he looks her in the eye.  "Richie is a little right here, Olivia."

"Meaning?" she asks, dragging out the word, shifting her weight and putting her hand on her hip.

"This band is a business, and when it comes to business, Richie is my partner."

"I know." she states.  "But when it comes to you, you're my patient, Jon.  You're the man that I love."

"Regardless." he exhales loudly.  "Richie came here concerned about the tour."

"And I'm here concerned about you.  Without you Jon, there is no business." she is quick to remind him, "If you're in the hospital, there will be no more tour."

"This isn't the first hitch in my giddy up and it won't be the last." he walks passed her with an air about him that tells her to not reach out and touch him.  Every ounce of her being wants to grab him and hold him, but she's learning.  She's learning fast.

"So, what are you telling me?" she asks him, not even bothering to look in his direction.  "What did I do that was really so wrong?  You JUST got out of the hospital for Christ's sake, do you want me to sit idly by while you run yourself even farther into the ground?"

"I want you to know your place." she hears him say from a distance.  

On her heel, she spins around and looks for him.  She can't see him, but she sees that the bathroom light is on.  In that direction, she heads.  "What did you just say to me?  You want me to know my place???"  she's standing next to him at the vanity, looking at him in the mirror.

With a chuckle he tells her, "Yeah, your place."

"Which is?" she's getting heated, feeling very disrespected.  "Where is my place Jon?  Under the stage, ready to please you during quick change?"

He laughs again, seeing that she's getting super upset with him and his comment.  "Babe, relax."

"My place?  What the hell are you talking about?"

As he leans over the sink to wet his face for a shave, he tells her, "All I mean is that when we are talking business, you need to take your doctor brain out of it.  I've been doing this long enough to know when I have had enough."

"You mean like you did when you collapsed on stage? "

"Extenuating circumstances."

That made her laugh with sarcasm.  "So extenuating I had to give my word that you would relax and here Richie is trying to push you."

"He's doing his job."

"Then let me do mine!" she slaps his arm with the back of her hand.

Spreading shaving cream on his cheeks and his chin, a quick wink is followed by, "You just need to realize  and understand that we have a job to do."

"And so do I.  As your doctor, I'm telling you that you need more time off.  You need to rest.  Maybe we can get the kids out here for a day or two." she's trying real hard to get him to relax.   She knows how important it is for him to be at 100%.  Running on empty will not help anyone when he's in the hospital suffering from exhaustion or dealing with an injury.

"We have to pack.  We need to get down to L.A."


4 comments:

  1. She had no right to talk to Richie like that but even Richie knows not to push Jon when he's sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they all have a point but when it comes down to it Jon's the boss & the boss does what the boss wants to do. I have a feeling his bullheadedness is going to get him into trouble though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get that Olivia is worried about Jon's health, but she is stepping into territory she knows nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please come back. Really miss this one.

    ReplyDelete